"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
--Ether 12:4




Monday, October 31, 2011

Welp

Hola desde Guayaquil!
Warning: this email might be the most boring or random email you will ever read

This has been my 11th day of imprisonment or quarantine haha and to sum up our experiences since last Monday:  a bus trip to Guayaquil, 3 attempts at blood work, 2 blood exams, 1 migraine, 1 injection for migraine, lots of supposed prescriptions for meds that will cure me aka Vitamin C and Tylenol, lots of visits from the elders that made our days, a visit from the President, and tons of time to think or occupy our minds enclosed in the prison house in Guayaquil---I think we can go back to Manta tomorrow!!

Tuesday I was really sick in bed all day and finally at like 10 pm our Zone leaders brought us food--a bunch of American junk food (we have 2 gringos now as ZLs) and gave me a blessing.

Wednesday we found out we needed to go to Guayaquil because I still felt pretty sick so we ate lunch with Marianela and Gabriel, packed our bags, cried a lot because it was our last time leaving together as companions, and headed to Guayaquil.  4 hrs later we arrived at the emergency room and the elders were there to meet us!  We waited forever and I got to talk to Elder Hammer for a long time--it's super strange how much gringos make me feel better or at home haha. They took my blood again, I had 3 injections and a migraine only to result in---nothing!  More vitamins and tylenol haha.

Thursday the elders brought me my Halloween package which was way nice--the house in Guayaquil has bars all around it and really feels like a prison!  I felt super sick Thursday and felt so so badly for Hermana Angulo and for complicating the mission and all of the transfers of the hermanas.  But I also felt so alone and like no one understood how I felt--at fault for all of their poor situations as well!  I wished Dad a happy b-day like all day in my mind and hoped Dallin was doing alright with his wisdom teeth!  Hna Angulo and I had a candlelight party on the balcony of the house and just talked--trying to feel freedom!

Friday I was super sick again in the afternoon and I prayed really hard this day. The 2 other hermanas came home that happen to be from Hna Angulo's group and stayed until Sunday (they are working in 2 areas right now--crazy!) 

Saturday the area Doc called me--he´s from the States and only 1 week into the mission and it was SO great to talk to him!  He made me feel a lot more at ease about things even though they don´t know what I have.  Elder Hammer took care of our lunch this day and Sunday because he knew we didn't want the typical food and brought us lasagna and garlic bread and a huge salad for Sunday´s lunch--I love Americans!!  He also bought us some things he knew we would like and would make us feel better--bless him haha.  He told us he had researched a ton on webmd and thought I have hypothyroidism I think it is--I certainly hope not! Really I cannot even explain how great those visits were--brought our spirits up a ton!  I watched The Testaments and chatted a bit with the hermanas and felt a ton better this night!

Sunday Hna Angulo didn´t feel super great and we stayed in bed talking and singing songs (some American ones) in our bed until the afternoon haha.  We got ready and enjoyed our salads, took naps and then had the pleasure of the President and Sister Amaya coming to visit us in the evening.  I felt SO much better Sunday and was back--the elders joked with me that I had resurrected from the dead!  It was so nice of President to come chat and leave a prayer and blessing with us.  He also informed us that when I feel better, we are to return to Manta and Hna Angulo will be with me at least for this week.  He didn´t say any more and we are wondering if she will then have transfers or if they are just going to forget about those transfers!  It´s been kind of crazy to try and figure out the reasoning for my sickness and our time here in Guayaquil--maybe she is needed with me in Manta.  Who knows!  Then Elder Hammer and his comp came and gave us the Sacrament at like 9:30 at night haha.  His comp teased us a ton about buying something called makeup and getting ready and I gave it to him about being sick etc :)  
BUT I´m way dumb because every time I feel better, I think I´m completely cured but then start to feel more tired again.
I didn´t sleep at all last night.  Maybe 1 hour or 2 and so today I woke up NOT good again so we remained locked in Guayaquil :)  OH JOSEPH!  I think I finally went crazy today.  11 days. In the mission. wow!  and Hna Angulo now doesn´t feel good.  Haha our theme for our companionship has always been:  Que mas nos falta!  because strange things follow us but we have loved our time together and our crazy adventures.  

But when it all comes down to it, it was incredible the lessons I learned personally while in bed this week and these 11 days.  It´s amazing that when you are made to rely wholly and completely on the Lord and only Him, how much at peace and in calm you feel.  In the mission, although I have you all, I only really have Him because our comps don´t completely understand us either!  I felt so guilty this week for making everything difficult for President, the other hermanas, my comp, my sickness, etc. and I also felt super down like I have no idea what I need to learn or why this is happening and I feel so sick and we can´t work and improve the program and spread the love of Christ and the truthfulness of the Gospel!  But I really just KNOW that I don´t have to understand and I probably won´t.  But the Lord knows exactly why.  He knows everything and He blesses us with the experiences we need.  Maybe I needed to learn something, maybe my comp needed to, maybe the other hermanas were needed in their areas this week, maybe the President needed more time to really know about transfers, who knows.  But I do know and testify of the overwhelming peace and comfort we can feel when we trust fully in our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ.  They know our lives and if we do all we can to be obedient and serve them, they will make sure that our missions and our lives unfold from the first day to the last exactly as They have planned.  I know this church is true!  I know that missions are miracles and that I´m blessed to be here.  I know that working and serving and spreading the love of Christ is what makes us happy in this life.  I know families can be together forever!  I know Christ lives and loves us and I know that if you are having a hard time and don´t understand why, that you can feel completely at peace or calm with His love and through prayer.  Heavenly Father answers prayers--dont´ever give up!

Also--I need to say that while They answer prayers and comfort us, etc., they expect us to do our part and work.  It will NOT be easy but if you receive an answer or feel you need to do something to better your life, DO IT!  You can´t afford to wait it out--blessings and eternity are at stake.  I love the saying that if Heavenly Father asks you to give something up, obviously He has something better in mind.  That is so true and also I know that in life, hard things are required, especially in this Gospel.  However, we prove our faithfulness and willingness to do all that is required of us and will never be able to give up or go through hard times more than we receive the promised blessings.  Trust in Him. Trust that He will give you strength and support you in the hard times.  Do your part and He will take care of the rest!  He loves you!
I love you all and am SO grateful for your love and prayers.  I pray for you every single day!
Have an amazing week!  Love you!

Love,
Hermana Bryan


Logan: I read Alma 17:3 and thought of us.  You are the best missionary I know and you look SO great in your pic!  I miss you so so much and know you are learning everything you need to learn in this area and with your new comp.  How awesome it is to hear of your experiences and faith building testimonies and challenges as well.

Dallin: I laughed out loud at your joke this week.  Hahahaha women.  I am sending you and Logan that little thing this week as I was sick last week.  I hope you feel better with your teeth!

Mom and Dad: I love you--thank you so much for your concern and prayers. Thank you for the quotes, Mom and I smiled a lot while reading the Keep Moving Forward one--I love that one so much.  Ps-- when are pres elections and who are the candidates?  Also I would love more protein bars and body spray for Christmas.  One more thing--I´ve been thinking a lot about Dr.Nelson--can you maybe ask if he wants to receive my emails? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!


Lunch with Gabriel, Marianela, and Allisson right before coming to Guayaquil


No comments:

Post a Comment