"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
--Ether 12:4




Monday, April 23, 2012

When the Bed Bugs Bite

Well familia,
As you can see from the title of this email, I have had a fun week.  Haha Yes I found bed bugs.  I woke up Saturday with bites on my stomach, etc. and in the night, we turned on the lights and I found bugs crawling around on my sheets and bed cover.  We freaked out a bit, sprayed everything, and changed my mattress to another one.  But yep--gotta love the mission.

So Guayacanes is pretty close to Francisco--like 20-30 minutes in a bus or taxi a little less.  Pretty close!  BUT that distance makes all the difference in the climate and I literally am in the SAUNA of Ecuador.  Hotter than heck and worse haha.  Didn't think it could get much hotter but it did!!!  And does!  Woohoo.

Ok so...
Tuesday we went to District Meeting and watched a few practices.  They asked the ZL Elder Pintos what he thought of the practice and he said it was good but they needed to have unity but ya.  I could tell he didn't really love it but didn't say more.  They then asked me.  I said that I agreed with Elder Pintos and that it was good.  BUT if it's just good, it's fine to teach them whatever subject and have them feel the Spirit but they still will stay wishy washy with their decisions.  Our job is to teach them in such a way, and bear such pure testimony, that (as Alma did in Alma 5) there is NO mistake in their hearts what they have to do.  And then they understand!  And when they really understand and feel that, they will take action.  I said a couple other things of what I felt strongly would make the difference and what we need to do, be bold but loving, etc.  I finished and Elder Pintos raised his hands in the air and shouted, ´Hallelujah!!!¨ and said, ´Wow, I haven't heard something like that in a long time.¨ haha It made me feel really good but more than that, it made me realize that the Lord has a purpose for everything and we all are here to help each other and there is reason I'm needed here and need to learn things here.
Also the ZLs asked us to fast that day to reach our goal and I was honestly really scared.  Why you might ask?  Well, 3 days previous, that Saturday before, Hna Johansen and I had fasted.  That was the hardest fast I've ever done and we literally were swaying sometimes as we walked and had to hold onto things to not fall down a couple times.  The Ecuador sun, with walking everywehre, and no water, here in the mish is way hard and we get sick usually, but it's just cuz Satan knows how important and awesome fasts are for missionaries!  Anyway with that having just happened, I was pretty scared to do it again 3 days later.  BUT we did it and the Lord helped us through.  Crazy how we take normal fasting for granted.  It's worth it!

Tuesday we had a lesson with a sister in the ward and a bishopric member happened to be there.  Her marriage and home is falling apart and she's focused on herself and it's so hard to see that and know she's not happy no matter how much she tells people she feels peaceful about it, etc.  During our lesson, the bishopric member boldly took over and finished and through his words, I received a tender mercy from the Lord letting me know He loves me, is aware of me and this change, and that it is according to His plan for me and the mission.  I need to be here.

Thursday we had a good comp inventory and Hna Orantes told me that she knew that changes came at a perfect timing, that I had taught her more than any other companion in such a short amount of time, and that I'm exactly what she needed.  I'm trying really hard to be patient, understanding, loving, fun, and still bold and teach.  I feel like I am training her because she is fresh out of training and still doesn't understand a lot of things, but others she is way on top of.  She is always smiling, happy, and loving, obedient, and ready to work so the rest will come.  

Friday we had an awesome awesome lesson about the Restoration with the brother and dad of some recent converts and the Spirit was SO strong!!  The dad tried ruining the Spirit with his jokes about drinking and women a lot but the Lord helped us recover the Spirit every time and when we ended and I bore fervent testimony, I felt the Spirit so strongly testifying of my words, giving them power that I alone can't do, and taking them to the hearts of the people listening.  It was amazing and something I'm always grateful to my Heavenly Father for when that happens.  

Saturday was a hard day for me emotionally, accepting this change and the differences, etc.  Studies are so different and the people, and people in Ecuador are not accepting of new missionaries right away. haha  I always have to win them over.  But that's not new--just hard again to remember and feel all that. Saturday we had a baptism of the nephew of the Bishop that got baptized after only 12 days of hearing the lessons.  Hna Orantes was SO happy--it was her first convert that she had begun and finished teaching!  

We visited families and investigators this week and we are trying to weed out who really is going to progress.  The sisters beforehand have had a hard time being bold or saying things clearly, they beat around the bush and are shy, so unfortunately we have a lot of unknown people in their progress.  But we are going to clean the program out, be loving and bold, and find more people.

I find myself feeling a lot and being reminded of me starting the mission and Hna Angulo but now the roles are reversed.  Some of the things she says or does or thinks reminds me of how I felt starting out, and how I feel and think now, reminds me of how I saw Hna Angulo.  She gets down sometimes and I've reminded myself of Hna Angulo as I give her counsel and try to be understanding and say what she needs.  She told me thanks and that with all her personal problems, I have known what to say and it's made the difference for her to be able to express herself in English--I do remember feeling that way!  
I know that I am here for a reason and will grow and learn a lot and I pray for patience, love, strength, and happiness as I try to still accept this change and accept this responsibility and help the people here and find the elect while helping my comp too.

I love missionary work and love you all so much.  The church is true!  The Book of Mormon is true!  Heavenly Father has a plan for you and for me.  He loves us so much.  I know my Savior lives and loves us!  I know He helps us through any trial and I know that if we turn to Him and put our focus on the things that really matter, we will enjoy life's small moments and tender mercies and enjoy a fuller happiness and fulfillment in life and in our families.  Do it!  It's easy.

LOVE YOU!!
Hermana Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment