"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
--Ether 12:4




Thursday, July 21, 2011

First MTC Email




Logan says--and he is exactly right--that there are hard days and harder days, but each day is good.  I remind myself every day how blessed I am to have this opportunity to be a representative of my Heavenly Father and I only have one chance to do this!  So I need to make every moment count.  Your words of advice and counsel and comfort always come exactly when I need them and I thank you so so much for your letters--you don't know how much those mean to me each day.

The other day we watched a video of a lesson where the missionaries were extending a baptismal invitation. The sister got super scared all of a sudden and said in response, "I don't have to be baptized right now, right?!" She then got very emotional and softly said, "I don't want to do this anymore." How many times I have felt ALL of those same feelings and said that very same last phrase in my mind. However, she knew it was right and knew she needed to do it and she followed through. I now realize that life is full of these hard things that require faith obedience put into action but that blessings come as we follow Heavenly Father's will for our lives. This is how we grow into who we can become (as you say so many times, Mom. Thank you!) Also, I have discovered SO many amazing scriptures this last week about Heavenly Father's promises etc--how did I not see these before?! I have been very humbled about my teaching and Spanish but I know the Lord will make up the rest. I'm already feeling the pressure of only having 2 weeks left to learn this though and need to work every second!

My companion is not going to Ecuador--I'm the only Gringa in my district yet the only one going foreign! :) She's going to Ogden with the other elders in my district. We are family and I LOVE them!!! So I don't know if I told you but I was made Senior comp as well as the Coordinating Sister for my Zone the day after we got to the MTC last Thursday. I was emotional but the presidency said they felt super strongly about my calling before even meeting me. I know the Lord knew that I am happiest when serving and forgetting myself so he is giving me this opportunity! I just welcome the new sisters that arrive each week, take them around, teach them classes the first 2 days with the Zone leaders and then am the sister responsible for making sure things are ok in my zone, etc.

Sunday was super hard for me but Monday was so great! It was a tender mercy to see Logan and have him share such a neat quote with me from Pres Holland right as I was leaving breakfast. Life is so full of these mercies everyday!

My teacher, Bro. Anderson is SO awesome.

So, I watched Pres Holland's the "Miracle of the Mission". Wow. That was incredible and life changing and I went into more details on the recorder. I wrote 3 full pages of notes. What a perspective and some amazing things were said. He told us, "If this isn't what you imagined, welcome to the life of the Savior who knows too well about cups he doesn't want to drink!" As Christ said and did, at the end of my mission I want to be able to say that I truly have "suffered the will of the Father from the beginning". That word choice really struck me. Yet how wonderful of an act he did so we can live again. I am doing this so others can live with their families forever and have the greatest joy this Gospel brings!

I am already excited to see this unfold and I know it will get harder but so much more wonderful too! How blessed I am and I have so many emotions like all the time it's crazy but it's so great.
Nothing anyone says or tells you really prepares you for what a mission is really like but that's the cool thing about it--you figure it out and experience it for yourself.

I have so much to say but only like 2 mins! We had a devotional on Tues with the CUTEST COUPLE Elder and Sis H ammond. They are so cute and so happy and in love! I want tot be like them when I'm older and they had some great things to share.

The MTC has been a whirlwind of emotions! It's so great here and such a neat opportunity but it really is the absolute hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm emotional and exhausted but I know that I will look back at this as the greatest experience of my life. I already can see some of that and some days or times of the day more than others but it's so true :)

The people here are awesome and such examples to me. Logan is amazing and he blesses my life--the Lord knew I needed that.

LOVE YOU!!!
-Hermana Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment